Wearing a saree can be a bit intimidating if you're not familiar with the garment, but it's actually a relatively simple process once you get the hang of it.
Here are the steps to follow to wear a saree:
- Start by draping the saree over your left shoulder, so that one end of the fabric falls to your feet and the other end hangs over your right shoulder.
- Take the end of the fabric hanging over your right shoulder and tuck it into the waistband of your petticoat or underskirt.
- Take the end of the fabric that is hanging at your feet and bring it up between your legs, so that it is now draped over your left hip. Take the fabric that is hanging over your left shoulder and drape it over your right shoulder, making sure to leave a small pleat at the back.
- Adjust the fabric to your desired drape and tuck any excess fabric into the waistband of your petticoat or underskirt. Wear a fitted blouse over the top of the saree, making sure to tuck it into the waistband of your petticoat or underskirt.
- Accessorize with jewelry and other accessories as desired. It's a good idea to practice wearing a saree a few times before wearing it to an event, as it may take some time to get the hang of draping the fabric properly.